Thursday, August 29, 2013

Heading to a Kind of Unknown, Out-of-the-Way Place in the Former Eastern Europe.....

.....until 1999, Kosovo was part of the former Serbia, which was part of the former Yugoslavia, which was part of the former Eastern Europe block.  But after a devastating war between the Serbs and ethnic Albanians in the region, Kosovo declared it's independence in 1999.


Serbia still bitterly contests the secession and only about half of the United Nations members recognize it, but a United Nations (mostly NATO) peace-force has at least stopped the fighting.  The United States was one of the first countries to recognize Kosovo and, as a result, the area is one of the few places where the U.S. and Americans are well liked.  And, I'll be working at the U.S. Embassy located in the capital of Pristina.

Getting in and out of Kosovo can be kind of a challenge--I fly Houston/London/Istanbul/Pristina to get there and return Pristina/Istanbul/Newark/Houston.  From everything I've read, Kosovo is still an emerging nation trying to overcome centuries of isolation and ethnic divisions.  It is primarily Muslim (the object of Serb ethnic cleansing) yet with a strong Christian Orthodox influence.  Many of the Serb monasteries date back to Medieval times but have sustained heavy damage during the fighting.  It is a very historical area where Philip of Macedonia once roamed and Mother Theresa is also from this region.

Kosovo is small, and several interesting-looking towns are within short bus rides.  I will have five layover days to explore on my own and if I can travel freely and safely, and it looks like I can, I hope to I hope to get out into the countryside and explore while I'm there.


 I'm leaving September 2 and returning September 20 which means about three weeks to work and explore.  My hotel website advertises free WiFi Internet so I hope to post some very different and probably interesting photographs while I'm there.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors