Sunday, July 29, 2007

Spent Sunday playing tourist….



Chelmsford isn’t particularly a famous British city but it is very interesting. The first radio factory was established here in 1912 and there are two very good museums very near my hotel. I discovered my work location is only about a ten minute walk from the hotel and given the size of my VW van and the parking problems I have with it, I may leave it at work during the week and walk back and forth to the hotel.
In the afternoon I went back to the museums when they were open and it just happened 9th Essex Parachute Regiment was having a memorial service. These guys parachuted into Arnhem, Holland during the Normandy Invasion and there aren’t many of them left (not that many lived to the end of the war.) Talked with them a while and showed them some of the photos I had taken at the British cemetery in Thailand at the River Kwai that were still on my digital camera.
I also walked downtown and visited the Chelmsford Cathedral which is very nice and has a moving stained glass memorial to the US airmen who served here and flew missions over Germany during WWII.
The weather right now is beautiful and tomorrow I start working again…..

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors