Saturday, August 04, 2007

The week went very well....

On our drives we stopped at a little village called Writtle and I liked it so much I drove back after work and walked around. There is a very old church that was closed but I walked around the grounds and walked the narrow winding streets and took some pictures. They have a beautiful village green and the village is built around it with a small lake and geese. I stopped at a pub called The Rose and Crown on the Green and got an authentic ploughman’s lunch—and a very good one. I’ve been looking for 34 years for one of these meals which I remembered from my student days at Lancaster University in the 70s. It consisted of a salad with malt vinegar, coleslaw with hot horseradish creamy sauce, pickled onions, aged cheddar cheese and hard crust bread with real butter. You just can’t find a good one in the States. The pub was crowded and they had a soccer game on the television so it really felt like a British pub tonight. During the week we drove out by the Boy Scout World Jamboree site and it has about 40,000 scouts camped outside Chelmsford. I’ve been seeing a lot of the scouts in town. This morning when I went downstairs at the hotel I ran into a Scout leader from the Sam Houston Council in Texas. There are 140 countries represented here and it’s kind of neat seeing so many people from so many countries. I have enjoyed Chelmsford much more than Southampton.Saturday morning I drove back across country to the Bristol and a seaport town called Weston-super-Mare. It was a three-hour drive, again, around London and back to the west coast. The drive went well but this is the holiday season and the town is bumper to bumper with vehicles and people

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors