Saturday, January 14, 2012

Now it's Two Down and One to go.......






.....the 10K went well this morning. It was overcast and we had some light showers but nothing like last night. The race started at the National Stadium and wound around for six miles on the narrow, twisting roads in a circle back to the stadium. It was much more difficult than I had anticipated. On the elevation map, 200 feet didn't look that much, but it's 200 feet steep incline. The last mile was particularly tough. I finished in the time I set for myself and don't seem to have any blisters and my knee is doing just fine so far. Tomorrow, however, is the half-marathon and the weather doesn't look good at all.


After the race, I cleaned up and took one of the city ferries over to the far western part of Bermuda. As we pulled away from Hamilton, the view of the city and Front Street was really good.








The weather was still overcast so I took my Dynamo rain jacket and sure enough, when I got off the boat, it started raining. I headed to the first place, which was the Fishbone Pub and ate lunch there and the rain just intensified. I would say it was three times worse than last night and didn't seem to want to let up.



Bermuda gets lots of rain--although this isn't their rainy season right now. All the building roofs on the island are white and have ridge-rows--all of them by government decree. The reason is that there is no fresh water at all on the island--no wells or anything--so they collect rainwater for drinking. It rains so hard here (like today) that most of the rain splatters and is lost when it hits a solid object. They put ridges on the roofs to reduce the splatter and if you look near the bottom of this roof, you will see a trough near the bottom. That trough collects the water and sends it to a large tank and the tanks all feed into a city treatment center for drinking water.





Anyway, the rain let up enough that I went to the National Maritime Museum which is another very old British fort with a really good museum. I spent a couple of hours there and it started raining again so I caught another ferry back to Hampton and called it a day. Really ugly weather today.




A little runner's humor:



No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors