Monday, February 10, 2014

Mostly Work the Past Few Days, But Got Out and Went to One of the Dubai SuperMalls This Evening.....

.....I'm not a "mall person" but didn't bring a long-sleeve shirt or jacket on this trip thinking it would be hot all the time but it's been getting down into the low 60s in the evenings and I'm wanting to take at least one day trip this weekend.

Dubai has a famous mall with ski slopes inside and this wasn't the one I went to but another "high-end" mall.  Got to say, I was impressed:


As I would expect from an oil-rich kingdom, the shops all had foreign names I can't pronounce and featured jewelry and clothing I'll never consider trying to buy.  I looked at a few shops I was familiar with like Reebok, Gap and Tommy Hilfiger and I think the prices were about 2.5 times higher than at Baybrook Mall at home.  I finally found a Billabong (Australian) sports store featuring 80% off and found a long-sleeve cotton shirt for under $20 so I'm pretty happy with myself over the trip.

This mall may not have had a ski slope, but it did have a three-story aquarium:



Many of the stores were familiar names also--Victoria's Secret for instance.  I didn't try to take a photo but I found it absolutely hilarious to see two women in full burkas shopping inside.  I guess if you've ever wondered what they wear under those things......

There was also a long and really interesting waterfall:



On a side note, I passed a branch of the Islamic Republic of Iran Bank and needed some cash so I went in to see if they would take Great Satan dollars and they actually gave me one of the best rates I've gotten over here.  Of course, I'm probably on some watch-list now for doing financial transactions with Iran.

Like I said, I'm not a "mall person" but, for a side trip it was kind of interesting.  I mean, even the parking garage had fountains.


Got a couple of more days with this group then some time off.  I'm trying to arrange a 4-wheel safari across the desert to mountains or, maybe, a day trip to Abu Dhabi.  Or maybe both.......

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors