Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Tomorrow is the Last Day of My First Week Over Here.....

.....and it has not been without issues, but Friday I get a day off (it's Wednesday evening over here as I type this.)  For the most part, this week has just been all-work and no-play.  It gets dark pretty early here but I get out and try to walk every evening.  I feel completely safe over here.  Just to get away from the hotel, I've eaten supper at an Applebees nearby.   When I think of Middle Eastern food, I don't usually think of Applebee's and it isn't.  But it has a pretty good American sports bar menu at about a quarter cost of the hotel.  But they don't sell beer--I think only the hotels sell beer and my hotel is about $12/bottle.

I signed up for a day trip Friday and am really looking forward to it.  I'll take a coach up the coast north from Dubai to mountains to another emirate.  There, we'll board a traditional Dhow--sailing vessel and sail further north and visit Oman--another country I can add to my list.


We'll supposedly visit a market in Oman and then sail back to the border.  I'm kind of excited about it.  Should be a nice day away from the hotel room.

Not much news in this post but I thought I'd include some of the architecture I've seen here.  Dubai is encouraging new construction with modernistic themes:

The Ship's Sail


Twin Dolphin Towers


Tower of Gold


Notice the Sand Parking Lot Across the Street:






Notice the New Construction in the Left Background



That's it for now.  I'll probably post again Friday evening when I get back from Oman.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors